Hen Wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pyxis, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    So today my hen Lemon has been wheezing. She sounds exactly like the chicken in this video. She was fine yesterday, none of the other birds are affected, and I haven't added any new birds to my flock recently. I did add some leghorns a few weeks ago, but they were quarantined first and show no signs of illness. My friend also took birds from the same flock I got my leghorns from, quarantined, and introduced them to her flock and all are healthy, so I doubt that the leghorns brought anything with them. She has no other symptoms, no sneezing, no eye discharge, no nasal discharge, no smell, droppings are normal, she ate a little while I was out watching her - just not sure what it could be.

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Is she still sounding this way?
    I have a Buff who is quite an over eater and she has sounded like this 2 different times. Her crop was full to the top! I took away food and just let her have water, after a couple of hours she was back to sounding normal, once her crop had had a chance to empty a bit. If your girl is still sounding this way after a few hours and you have checked her crop to see how full it is, then I would wonder about gape worm or a respiratory problem.

3. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I should go back out and check her. I was starting to wonder if that was case, or if she somehow got something stuck in her nose. She kept shaking her head and scratching at it like something was irritating her. I was also thinking about gapeworm, but I don't know how she would contract with the weather we've been having around here. Not a lot of worms, snails, or slugs to eat.

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She stopped. Looks like either ate too much or had something stuck in her nose :rolleyes:

5. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    Glad to hear it! Its scary when they sound like that!! Esp. when we cant figure out whats wrong!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by