Hen who doesn't lay eggs ever?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LandC, Oct 21, 2019.

1. LandC

LandC In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Hello all,

I've for 5 beautiful hens, 3 of who are 10 months old and the other two are 8 months old. My head hen (called Angelica) is an Australorp who laid her first egg in June this year when she was 6 months old (now 10 months). I live in Australia and so that was the beginning of winter.
    My issue is that she hasn't laid an egg since! All 4 of my other girls lay an egg almost daily and have done so for months. Angelica still sits on her nesting box every couple of days... But never actually lays an egg.

A bit of extra info about her:
    - She is otherwise healthy. Completely normal chicken behaviour, even a bit of a bully to the younger hens actually.
    - She is the only hen who has spurs.
    - I have heard her attempt to crow twice.
    - Her weight is stable, I weigh her every 2 to 3 weeks to check. Some minor loss or gains (e.g 70gms) each time.
    - I've taken her to the vet who checked her out and said she looked healthy. Nothing showed up on her poop check or internal exam either.
    - When she laid her first egg, it was perfect, no issues. She did seem to really struggle hormonally around that time though, was moody and stressed for about 3 weeks before she actually laid the egg.

Has anyone else ever experienced a similar issue?! She is a pet, I don't care that she doesn't lay, just want her to be healthy and well.

Attached Files:

2. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Yes, I have had two hens that didn't lay eggs. One is still alive and is 7 years old now.
    I don't keep hens just for egg laying so for me it's not a problem. This hen makes up for her lack of egg laying in other ways.:)

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There may be some sort of hormonal issue that is keeping her from laying. She is apparently healthy in that picture - enjoy her.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like she is having some hormone problems. There also is a condition called false layer, where a hen will sit in the nest box, and eventually come out without laying a an egg, but the egg may have been laid internally and absorbed by the body. I had a hen like that for 2 years who did that. Here are 2 short articles about sexual disorders and false layer:
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51806599_Disorders_of_Sexual_Development_in_Poultry

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/disorders-of-the-reproductive-system/false-layer-in-poultry

LandC, slordaz and ValerieJ like this.
  5. LandC

LandC In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Thank you, that gives me hope!

slordaz likes this.
  6. LandC

LandC In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Thank you, yes, I've been thinking it's a hormonal issue too.

slordaz likes this.
  7. LandC

LandC In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2019
    Thanks, that's helpful. Can I ask if your hen died from the condition after the 2 years or was it something else?

slordaz likes this.
  8. SueT

SueT Crossing the Road

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I think she is too young to say she doesn't lay eggs ever. She's not even officially a hen yet. Give her some time. See what happens now that the days are longer there.
    That said, I had a 2 year old hen that never laid eggs as far as I know. She was killed by a predator last summer, so there's no finding out anything further.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a couple of birds an RIR and White Leghorn. They used to lay eggs pretty much daily. I had a mite outbreak several months ago. I treated the coops and all the birds seemed to be getting better but these two, so I moved them to another coop where I could give them some extra TLC. I did get an egg or two at first but now nothing since. They have fully recovered and look beautiful again but still no eggs.

LandC and slordaz like this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I had an outbreak of infectious bronchitis a common respiratory virus disease that can be spread by wild birds (and other chickens.) It can cause a number of problems with laying disorders later on, such as wrinkled or mishapen shells, shell-less or thin shelled eggs, and infection of the oviduct.

My hen who never laid eggs was rehomed to a friend who took excess layers and cockerels who he butchered for home use. At that time I had way too many chickens, so needed to depopulate. She also was not a friendly bird. Normally, I let all my hens live out their lives until they die, but at that time, I just was pressed for room.

LandC likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: