Hen will be put down tomorrow if suffering!!!

Chicky Crazy

Songster
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
One of my pullets started laying down yesterday in the coop. I let all the hens out so I could watch her a little easier. She walked and ran without seeming to squat or limp. She laid down for a few minutes and I examined her. Everything seemed fine except for her beak having saliva on it and her crown a little bloody from getting bullied like usual. Then she did something totally weird, she went into the woods, which she never does, for a little while ALONE. Today I again let her out and she laid at the edge of the woods. When I looked at her she was closing her eyes and grinding her beak together. We separated her and, if we can't comfort, will have her put down tomorrow afternoon.

She won't eat!!! I held out a bowl of food and she started to reach out to take then she quickly pulled her head away from it. This is what she continues to do. Then she kept shaking her head like bugs were in her face but there weren't.

She won't eat!!! I held out a bowl of food and she started to reach out to take then she quickly pulled her head away from it. This is what she continues to do. Then she kept shaking her head like bugs were in her face but there weren't.

What did you find on examination? Any ugly lumps or mucous in the throat? Breathing problems? Is her crop empty this morning? if it isn't, that could be her problem. How did the vent and abdomen exam go? No egg inside, no abdominal swelling? Try giving her electrolyte water. She is drinking? Offer her anything she might eat (if crop is empty) like crumbled bread, scrambled or boiled egg, yogurt, oatmeal, sunflower seeds......the head shaking is either bugs(even though you can't see them),worms, ear infection, impacted crop or respiratory distress/disease. If it's anything other than contagious disease, it shouldn't be a death sentence. Lets see if we can't figure out what is wrong. You may very well be able to save her.
smile.png

try to give her some water with a syringe to wash the mucus then try to put some food in her mouth. I was putting cracked corn and wheat one by one or I mixed chicken feed with water and gave it with a small spoon followed by giving some more water. it is even better if you put some honey in water. she must eat and drink! and put her inside where is warmer. she will need some antibiotics but you should consult a vet.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom