Hen will not leave nesting box

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cavelly41, Feb 1, 2012.

1. cavelly41

cavelly41 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    I noticed yesterday as I was collecting eggs that one of my girls was nesting rather late in the day. I went to check on her early evening and she was still in the nesting box. She appeared to be a bit lethargic and when I removed her from the box she did not put up any fuss and immediately laid down where I placed her. I checked her vent and it's clean, doesn't appear swollen but was pulsing a bit. I believed she stayed in the box all night and this morning when I checked her she was still there. She will eat if I bring food to her but will not drink water. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could she be broody?

3. cavelly41

cavelly41 New Egg

Feb 1, 2012
    Well that's what I first thought. The other hens like to use the same nesting box and when I went to check on her this morning there were two others crowded in with her. I reached in to gather the eggs from beneathe her and she did not seem to care at all. She is not aggressive and did not peck at my hand which I understand is what a broody hen will tend to do. I can reach in and remove her without any trouble. I though perhaps she was egg bound but was not able to feel anything obvious. There was a bit of runny, very dark coloured poop in the nesting box with her but her vent appeared very clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by