Hen will not leave roost

dgkatz

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 2, 2008
I have a hen that has not left the roost in days. What might be wrong or why might she be doing this. She is not a new bird to me and has not done this before, she usually loves to free-range

My two, 12 week old chicks won't leave the roost on their own since we got our 1st snow. So I've been going into the coop and taking them out and putting them under some shrubs. The snow is all gone but they still won't go out on their own. Once I take them out they stay out all day.

I think concern is warrented. If it was a nest box, I would say she might be "broody" but on a roost ... for days ... that does not sound right.

I am new to chickens, only have had the Delightful Dozen since mid April, so they are just pullets and giving eggs for room and board.

I wonder what could be going on? I hope someone with more experienc reads this and has information. I will be checking back to see what you find out!
fl.gif

Is she showing any signs of being sick ?? Egg bound ?? Anything change latly ?? Try puting her outside yourself and see what she does !! Is someone picking on her ?? I would keep an eye on her when you put her out for a little while and see if you notice anything !!

Quote:
she looks alert and healthy and she's the last hen that would ever get picked on

Back
Top Bottom