1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen will not leave roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dgkatz, Nov 2, 2008.

1. dgkatz

dgkatz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2008
    I have a hen that has not left the roost in days. What might be wrong or why might she be doing this. She is not a new bird to me and has not done this before, she usually loves to free-range

2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Is she on a roost or in a nest box?

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My two, 12 week old chicks won't leave the roost on their own since we got our 1st snow. So I've been going into the coop and taking them out and putting them under some shrubs. The snow is all gone but they still won't go out on their own. Once I take them out they stay out all day.

4. dgkatz

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:this is a seasoned hen though

5. dgkatz

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:roost

6. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    I think concern is warrented. If it was a nest box, I would say she might be "broody" but on a roost ... for days ... that does not sound right.

I am new to chickens, only have had the Delightful Dozen since mid April, so they are just pullets and giving eggs for room and board.

I wonder what could be going on? I hope someone with more experienc reads this and has information. I will be checking back to see what you find out!
    [​IMG]

7. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Is she showing any signs of being sick ?? Egg bound ?? Anything change latly ?? Try puting her outside yourself and see what she does !! Is someone picking on her ?? I would keep an eye on her when you put her out for a little while and see if you notice anything !!

8. dgkatz

Nov 2, 2008
    Quote:she looks alert and healthy and she's the last hen that would ever get picked on

9. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I would definitely separate her. Maybe put her in her own little enclosure with food and water. She could be ill and hiding symptoms yet.

10. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Do you have a rooster with her?..If so thats the problem, she's probably molting and very sore, She's hanging on the roost to avoid being bothered by the rooster....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by