Hen will not stop trumpeting all day

Jane Jane

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2021
My hen will not stop calling out loudly all day long. NOT THE EGG SONG! This hen raised a brood this spring and came back into laying, normally. Now, a few months later, she won't stop with this loud squawking. She strolls around the whole range (1/2 acre) trumpeting like this: long, long, long, long, long, long, short-louder x 2, then repeat. Between each long vibrato-filled loud trumpet is a pause. It is not the egg alarm/predator alarm that goes like this: short, short, short, short, short, short, short, medium long louder with a peak, repeat. Also, her comb is now pale pink, and her legs lost their yellow. She is eating and drinking normally (between trumpet blasts). What is wrong? Is she just looking for a new nesting area? The roo does seem to follow her around and sit down in nesty looking spots. He does this often, shows hens good spots to lay their eggs. Sort of shocking to check the regular nest boxes and find my roo sitting in one! LOL But, I have not seen this hen in a box for a while. The other hens ignore her trumpeting, too. Thanks for insight!

I have to take a stick after mine. Then they learn to shut up. Living
in a close neighborhood, I can't allow one or two hens to make a racket for no reason, that jeopardizes complaints and risk me losing my entire flock.

My hen makes that noise when she's separated from her friends, or when she's hungry/thirsty, or wants to be let outside to free range. The only difference is she doesn't pause between the trumpets

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom