Hen with 3-inch long white discharge?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coopncottage, Jan 31, 2013.

1. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    Hello -- I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me what is going on with our hen, Pearl.... she is my daughter's favorite little 4H hen, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what might be going on with her, so I can prepare my daughter if it's ominous...

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    Porcelain Belgian d'Uccle, about 1 year, 4 months; weight has been fine and she doesn't feel particularly thin or poor condition.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    She seems to feel ok, though may have a hard time getting onto the roost. About three weeks ago, she seemed not to feel well, was puffed up and looked cold. It was in the single digits, and she doesn't seem to tolerate the cold well. (Same symptoms last winter once.) We brought her in for a couple of days, and isolated her from everyone else. She perked up within a few hours. We kept her inside for about three days, until the temps were more in the double digits. She's been fine since. At the time, my daughter thought she'd had something like a white goopy substance from her vent, but I didn't see it. Her feathers were clean, she didn't seem to have any other obvious health issues. Was eating fine.

Tonight, I went out to the coop to lock everyone up, and while everyone was roosting, she was wandering around on the floor. She tends to be low hen in the flock, so I though maybe they were being stingy about letting her on the roost. I picked her up and put her between the two nicest hens. Then I noticed that she had a ropey, white discharge, egg white consistency but not clear; about three inches long, hanging from her vent. Seemed to be trying to get rid of it, but it was not coming out. She seemed bright eyed, otherwise.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    Not aware of anything. She is not a regular layer, and hasn't laid in weeks, but that's not unusual for her.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    She was eating fine this morning, hopped out of the coop and went after scratch without hesitation.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Some white crustiness on her feathers below her vent; haven't observed poop otherwise.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Nothing yet -- other than to bring her in to isolate her.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    Uncertain. If it is treatable, we would try.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    Will attempt to get a photo.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    Pine shavings.

Thanks for any insight or suggestions!

2. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    The thing hanging out sounds like a shell less egg. I've had this happen a few times. Try giving it a gental tug. If it doesn't come out, try soaking her bum in some warm water first or even using a little oil on her vent. Sometimes it drys and sticks. The first time we had the happen o freaked out and was so scared to hurt her. We soaked and then it came out pretty easy. The 2 nd time it happened to another chicken it came right out with no soaking. Hope this helps

3. coopncottage

coopncottage Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Front Range
    Thank you -- that's comforting to know that you've seen it happen and not had problems. She seems fine this morning. I was looking at her closely when she came out of the coop this morning and she looked back at me like, "What?! Why are you looking at me?" and off she went. So I think she is fine. I appreciate your response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by