Hen with 9 week old chicks still not laying...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LocoPollo, Aug 18, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    My only hen of laying age has 9 week old chicks, and yet she has still not returned to laying. Is this normal? Also, i just saw for the first time the rooster trying to mate with her today. She wasnt trying to get away, either. Does that mean eggs are near? I am new to all this and have not seen any eggs yet ( the hen and rooster was given to me along with her babies.) Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mating has nothing at all to do with hens and their egg laying. A rooster is like an old billy goat - randy from Dusk to dawn and back to dusk.

It often takes them a while to get back to laying. This time of year, the heat stress, coming off a brood - all sorts of factors can delay her starting to lay again.

9 weeks isn't anything to worry about. She will start back when her body is ready and you can't rush it.

3. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    That is helpful, thanks! I can't wait- I still cant decide if iwant to eat the eggs or let her raise some more chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by