Hen with a broken leg needing guidance

Bakerjett99

Hatching
Mar 13, 2021
Hello all I've recently acquired a hen from a dairy farm I used to work at the owner asked if I could splint her leg up as they thought it was broken. I opted to take her home with me until she healed as the farm is too busy for a small hen. She's a few years old and healthy besides the leg now. I think she got stomped on by a livestock dog or got bit. There was blood around her foot but no puncture wounds that I can see yet. I'm going to clip her feathers away from the break to get a better look. Her foot is limp and as I was palpating around I felt grinding where I think it's broke which is above the knee joint it does feel like a clean break though. She can't put any weight on it she is currently in a dog kennel with a towel wrapped around her so she doesn't move. I'm getting a hammock thing set up with a tub for her to suspend from so her leg doesn't have weight on it. I gave her 1/2 cc or ml of penicillin. She hasn't quit panting since we got her. It's not hot in here her temperature is 105.3 and she already drank her fill. So my best guess is pain and stress from moving. She seems bright eyed and bushy tailed for now just can't walk. What can I give her for pain and how should I splint her leg. I've taken get science classes and was taught first aide on the farm I worked on for bigger animals Ive owned chickens my whole life and splinted and made shoes for a few chicks before but never an adult hen. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. What can I give her for pain? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom