1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with a hurt foot is acting funny. Advice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Last week the winds came by and one of my barred rock hens got a plank of wood blown onto her foot. That was Wednesday I believe. She's been limping ever since then and today she seems lethargic. She's not eating, drinking, or socializing with the flock. I even tried to offer her some sunflower seeds and mealworms but she didn't budge. Her tail is down and she looks huddled up.
    Advice? And what's going on?

2. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Could she have an infection?

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    She's going through a moult so she hasn't been laying either. I haven't checked her poop yet.

4. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:From the foot? [​IMG] I would have no idea.

5. bawkbawkbawk

If splinters of wood are lodged in her foot there could easily be a bacterial infection. Does the area appear red or inflamed?

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:No, just her normal leg color. I'm not sure if it splintered or not, it's like a smooth plank of wood. Kind of like a cabinet door. I just checked on her and she's still not doing much. Should I isolate her? I have one empty broody/chick raising pen, it has a shelter, food, and water.
    I just hope she doesn't end up like one of my cochins did with Mareks. The cochin started acting the same way... Except the hen is standing on two feet instead of laying down on one side.

7. bawkbawkbawk

I wish I had more knowledge to impart. I guess just keep an eye on her - if she's eating and drinking, maybe she just needs time for the injury to heal. Good luck.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If you see a direct relationship between the wood and the injury, and behavior, I would say she's in pain. Provide heat, maybe 1/4 aspirin or a baby aspirin. Maybe even a warm soak. I like doing heat. Give her some nice snack like French toast. (an egg and a bit of water, a drop of vanilla and a tsp of sugar beaten, a slice of bread soaks up all the mixture), then heat it in a pan or covered in a microwave on Medium, leave sortof mushy. Cut into small squares. I've never had a refusal, LOL.

Usually with Marek's they still have an appetite and don't look sick, maybe subdued. The lameness would turn into paralysis fairly quickly. It does not sound like Marek's, but if you've had one with it, it may be a possibility. Normally, a chicken over a year old with wasting away, not lameness. But nothing is written in stone.

Treat for pain, see if that works.

9. bawkbawkbawk

Any update on your bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by