Hen with a limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henningfeld, Feb 5, 2013.

1. henningfeld

henningfeld New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    I went to feed my girls today and I noticed one of my hens have a significant limp. How can I tell if she broke her leg? She let me pick her up and move her leg around without acting like she is in a lot of pain. When I checked on her tonight, she is sleeping in a nesting box which is unusual for her, she's normally perched on a branch in the coop. Any idea what I should do?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I guess for now I would just watch her. It could be that she injured or hurt her leg. If it gets worse, then we'll think about what else we can do.

3. henningfeld

henningfeld New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    How can I tell if she is in a lot a pain to where I need to put her down?

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    To know if she's in pain, well, it's something you just feel by watching her. I would say loss of appetite, sleeping alot. You can give her a baby aspirin or a 1/4 of a regular aspirin. Not Tylenol. See if she responds to that.

5. vwgurl2

vwgurl2 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I too just had a hen (6 months old) start with a bad limp on her right leg, no swelling or anything. Now she cannot stand on either leg and just lays there. I pick her up and feed her by holding her at the feeder, and she has a good appetite. Her feet are bunched up, and when i sit her down, she falls over and her legs stick out.

I read about Marek's disease and am not sold that its what she has. The first day I noticed the limping, I did see a little blood on her leg, but could not find any obvious injury. I hope its not Marek's since she is with our other 14 birds, and at this point it is too late to separate her.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I hope it's not Marek's either. I knew for sure when the 2nd one got the paralysis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by