Hen with a lump in her throat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by annmarie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. annmarie

annmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    I posted this problem about a month ago, when I first noticed it, and no one on BYC that day could figure it out. Although my hen shows no sign of illness or discomfort whatsoever, this is still kind of bothering me, so I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to why my barred rock suddenly developed this lump in her neck, or is this lumpy neck normal for BR's? Since she's the only BR I have, I suppose I can't rule out that possibility. The only thing I can think of, now that it doesn't seem to be an illness (since it's been there so long and she still seems perfectly healthy) is that perhaps she swallowed something and it's stuck in there? Or could it be a tumor? Has anyone seen anything like this? Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]

2. AngieK

AngieK Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    I noticed during the cicada season when we were feeding the little guys to our chickens...they loved them... that the chickens necks would show a swelling. I got worried at first but then soon realized they they were just getting a full belly. Hope that all that is wrong with your chicken. Nothing better than a full belly, you know?

3. kitwip08

kitwip08 New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    my hen is a bantham , white and 20 wks old approx. she has a huge lump on rht side of throat that look\s like a tumor it is puffy like it has fluid

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by