Hen with a lump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by addiedunn, Feb 20, 2009.

1. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    My favorite hen has developed a lump on her right breast. It wasn't there two days ago and today it looks huge. About the size of an egg. I felt it and it's kind of fatty feeling. And I've included pics but you can't see it as well in these. But it's so big for not having been there a couple of days ago. Any suggestions?
    Why is it always the favorite?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Your hen has eaten enough to fill her crop. She'll have enough food in her system to get her through the night. Tomorrow she'll do it again.

Nothing to worry about. This is normal chicken anatomy.

3. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    No kiddin? IS that all, really? I was so worried. She's never done that before. Thanks jenn

4. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    If you check first thing in the morning it should be gone. She had a good day of foraging and eating. A beautiful hen.

Edited to say... they will all fill their crop during the day but sometimes the crop gets full and looks like it is off to the side so it alarms people. No worries.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    Yeah that's it, you could check her crop to make sure to see.

6. allisojo

allisojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2008
    Nuevo Mexico
    I'm relatively new to raising chickens, and I thought my favorite - Lucy - had something wrong with her when she was actually filling her crop. After a few days' observation, though, I watched it fill up during the day and then be empty by morning. I still wonder sometimes if they overstuff themselves because those crops can get big! If it's not the crop, let us know. Thanks.

7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Quote:I still wonder sometimes if some acquaintances overstuff themselves because they can let their belts out another notch or two.

Wayne

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    leave her without feed tonight, if it's not noticably reduced by morning then you might have something to worry about...

9. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    That's a beautiful bird. What breed is she?

10. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That looks too low to be the crop. The crop is usually found on the left above the pectoral muscles. It might just be the angle of the photo though. Either way, if she's not getting worse, she's probably fine. Take her food away for an hour, if the lump goes away then you know it's the crop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by