Hen with a runny eye she doesnt want to open

daphnelovely

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2016
Hello all :) I woke up today and one of ny hens is favoring her left eye. It looks runny but i dont see puss. She is trying to keep it closed but the other eye appears fine and i dont see any similar symptoms on my other 9. Before I take her to the vet should I try flushing the eye? What is the best way to do this and can I hurt her in any way or make it worse by trying? Thank you!

Hello all
smile.png
I woke up today and one of ny hens is favoring her left eye. It looks runny but i dont see puss. She is trying to keep it closed but the other eye appears fine and i dont see any similar symptoms on my other 9. Before I take her to the vet should I try flushing the eye? What is the best way to do this and can I hurt her in any way or make it worse by trying? Thank you!

Try a saline solution or make your own using 1/8tea to 1 cup of warm water rinse and try using a soft wash cloth to wipe if she'll let you. She may have hit her eye with something or someone popped her in it. There is also Terramycin eye ointment at some feed stores.

You might also be able to use a spray bottle - on mist, not spray!!!!!! or an eye dropper.

hugs.

Please keep us posted. Sometimes a tiny piece of bedding will irritate the eye, as well.

I went to Brothers and got some Vetericyn (sp?) for eyes. I have been bringing her in for baths and flushing the eye and then applying some of that ehile she dries in a towel in my lap. I believe a drake that has become aggressive did it to her :( It still looks pretty bad. I will try to post a couple pics

This is what the foam looks like that keeps coming out of her eye.
Usually foam means they need to wash their eyes out so always make sure they have a bucket deep enough to do that. Her eye looks really inflamed so I would keep up with what your doing but don't let the drake with her right now .And make sure if you have frigid temps she is completely dry before putting her back outside.If by mid week you don't see any change you might want to try Terramycin eye ointment or think about a vet. Poor thing I hope the Veterycin works It's awesome stuff. I have used it here.

Back
Top Bottom