Hen with a sore and swollen foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nmurphie, Nov 3, 2011.

1. nmurphie

nmurphie New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    Hi,

I have a hen of uncertain age (still laying irregularly but I got her as an adult so don't know her age) who for the last few days has had a sore foot. I have examined the foot and there is no sign of scale and no obvious scratches or injury. The foot is swollen and she does not close it around your finger as she does with the other foot. Otherwise she is eating and seems well. I have put down some straw to try and encourage her to settle and rest, but she is still hobbling about a bit.

What do I do?

Nicole

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you don't see a scabby looking thing near the center of the swollen area (and therefore don't suspect bumblefoot), and you've closely inspected the foot and see no cuts/wounds, then I'd probably assume that she's injured (twisted or something) the foot while jumping down or something similar...maybe a sprain. So I'd probably contain her in a dog crate for about 48 hours to force her to take things easy and limit her movement. That's my 2 cents with the given info...

3. nmurphie

nmurphie New Egg

Nov 3, 2011
    Thanks. I will try and take a look at her again tonight but I couldn't see anything wrong with the foot other than the swelling and lack of grip reflex. She does lay in a box up high, and did lay an egg earlier in the week. She also takes the opportunity to roost out in a tree at night if I don't get them in before dark, so may well have hurt it coming down from a height in either situation.

I'll keep her locked up over the weekend and see if that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by