Hen with a swollen abdomen and I have to leave town tomorrow!

stretchc1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Connecticut
I noticed yesterday that one of my 3-year old hens, a red sex-link named PeeWee, was lethargic. Upon closer examination, I could see her walking funny--not like a penguin, but sort of swinging her legs out and around. She was spending a lot of time just sitting down and kind of rocking back and forth like she was breathing very deeply. She seems to be in pain. Her abdomen is swollen with fluid--hence the funny leg swinging. No hard mass like an egg that I can feel at all.

I gave her a warm bath, which did seem to soothe her, but it didn't do much else that I can see. She is eating and her poop, though a little greasy looking, falls within the normal range.

Unfortunately, I have to leave town for 4 days tomorrow. I don't want to leave her to suffer if this will be the end for her, but I don't want to jump the gun, either. Plus, I have never had to cull a hen and am dreading it so much that I don't even know how to do it.

I have told the neighbor who's going to feed and water the hens while I'm gone that there's a problem, but I can't expect her to "do" anything for PeeWee.

Does anyone know of anything else I can try?

--Cindy

Back
Top Bottom