hen with a torn wattle questions about cleaning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicksak, Oct 1, 2013.

1. chicksak

chicksak Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    My hen's wattle is ripped, I am assuming from a hen squabble but am really unsure. By the look of her is it happened a while before I found her. We stopped the bleeding but she has dried blood all over her face, including around her eye. I cleaned up as much as I could from her neck, a little from around her face, but had to leave it for a while as it appeared to be causing her much stress the longer I continued. my first question is what is the best way to get off all that dried blood from around her eye? I tried water with not much luck loosening it up. Second question, is the torn wattle appears to be bothering her, which I am not surprised, but is that just because its sore, or because it is hanging lower then normal and gets in the way?
    Thanks for your help.
    Christina

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Can you post a picture of her face showing the torn wattle?

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    My roo nearly ripped this hens comb off. There was a lot of blood. I didn't clean it, I just sprayed it with tetracycline antibiotic spray. Best to watch and make sure that the blood is not creating too much curiousity from the others. If so pen her separately for a while.[​IMG]
    She's fine now, we call her " flopsy "

4. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    I will take a picture when I get home from work and post it.

5. chicksak

Apr 25, 2013
    Wasilla, AK
    She is in my basement at the moment. Was a little worried about leaving her with the other girls as she has so much dried blood on and around her eye while I was at work. Everything I have read and been told is that the other hens will be attracted to the blood and pick at her. Is this only fresh blood or raw skin? If I don't clean it and get it off, will it just come off on its own?

6. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Mine was covered in blood, she looked like something out of a horror clip. I didn't even attempt to wash her, but you could irrigate the area with some saline. That way you can get a better look at her wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by