Hen with back of head/neck ripped open/scalped.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by looptloop, Apr 1, 2012.

1. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    My sweet girl Maude is all torn open on the back of her neck. I noticed her many of her feathers were missing the other day, but figured it was from the rooster. This afternoon I opened the chickens to let them out and 1 is dead on the floor, and Maude is scalped! The dead one appears to have just died, I could not find anything wrong with her, so I don't think the two of them got into a fight, plus they were both very mild mannered chickens. I think my head hen and the roo are just beating the snot out of this poor girl.

She also has what appears to be a lump the size of 2 peas in the unfeathered part of her neck. I need to know what to do first! I have her in the house in a dog cage, she is eating and drinking - but I must need to clean her up right?![​IMG]

2. a123andpoof

a123andpoof Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    What I would do and I am no expert is wash it up, and put some neosporin on it. Thats what I do with all injurys in my flock. And sorry about your other hen.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Thanks for replying! Do I just use plain water? I have plain neosporin, with out the 'caine' and I'll use it, just didn't know if I need anything special to wash her with......?

4. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    The bummer about the poor dead hen is she was my 4 yr old's favorite, Donna bawk bawk, the Blue Andalusian. The 4 yr old is taking it pretty well tho!

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    If the lump on her neck is soft, it's probably just a hematoma (collection of blood). I wouldn't worry about that unless it grows, which would mean there is still bleeding somewhere.

6. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Oh phew! Many thanks, I'll just keep my eye on it. She seems to like the special treatment she's getting!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by