Hen with bad eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarnsB, Dec 10, 2010.

1. BarnsB

BarnsB Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2009
    Warren, CT
    I have a hen with an eye that she will not open. I pried it open & checked it and YUCK....it is milky white jelly like with some red streaks & appears to be grossly infected.
    Otherwise her behaivior seems ok. I think that I should probably do something....The eye is probably gone but I'm worried about spreading infection. Plus this must hurt. Any ideas?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You can get an antibiotic ophthalmic ointment at most feed stores. Should make it feel a little better, anyway.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Terramyacin from feed store (eye ointmentd)

4. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have a hen with a bad eye. She is 18 months and I think she got pecked as a youngster. She obviously does not see well with that eye, but it has not slowed her down much. Although she is not as good at foraging, she is very good at begging for food.[​IMG] We worried about her when she was little and competing for food so we gave her special attention. She has turned into one of the alpha hens.

We never had any obvious signs of infection with our bird though. Good luck with your hen. I'll e interested in how she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by