Hen with badly pecked comb!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    My bantam hen had been pecked (I'm guessing pecked) on her comb quite badly. there is a lot of blood and she has some very deep cuts. She isn't a new chicken, they have all been with each other for a year now and i have never seen anything like this before. they are also being very nice in the day and I haven't seen any bullying. do I need to treat it with anything or will it just heel on its own? here are some pics;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    any suggestions??

3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    If you want to clean it up, you can, but I would leave it. It doesn't look too bad. My roosters have gotten their combs/watttles/heads extremely bloodied (I'm talking large missing patches of skin and feathers around the head) during fights, and they heal up nicely without intervention. Keep an eye out for infection, but my guess is that it'll heal up just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Here's one of my boys about a week or so after getting his face pretty beat up after a fight. Healing up nicely on its own! The light pink areas are new skin forming. Poor guy also had to deal with frostbite later, but he took it all in stride, and still continued to breed hens and remained fertile.

4. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    That's good it will heal up fine, thanks for the reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by