1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with bare bum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peckyscotch, Mar 21, 2015.

1. peckyscotch

peckyscotch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    My hen has almost no feathers on her bum and it looks almost white, she has been mostly on the inside perch for yesterday and today. I think she has been laying. I've also seen a few flies inside. Any help would be appreciated!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  3. buckinbunnies

buckinbunnies Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    Hi everyone I hope im in the right place for this question. Im fairly new to chickens could someone please tell me what is going on with this chicken? I thought she was about to lay or maybe egg bound but the spot is soft not hard.[​IMG]

4. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    Ok thanks for that I'll try to upload a picture this afternoon.

5. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    @buckinbunnies I tried to reply a second ago but it hasn't worked, I will reply later on today

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It doesn't look like a prolapse, but it may be a hernia or a cyst hanging down.

7. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    My hen is looking very poorly so I isolated her this afternoon but she can't walk and seems to be sleeping most of the time. I have given her food, water, grass, sawdust and straw. I'm not sure if she will manage till morning[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] hope she does though!!!

8. peckyscotch

Jul 15, 2014
    Scotland
    She passed away through the night[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by