Hen with bare chest/belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grngni, Jan 8, 2010.

1. grngni

grngni Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    Lake Mills
    One of my Buff Orpington hens has been hanging out in an a nesting box the last few days. Because I'm not the only one to check them, it took me a few days to realize it was the same hen. When I did, I took her out and when I picked her up, I discovered her lower breast and going down her front were bare! She went right to the feed. I'm wondering if she's even been eating. I have expect to find her dead on a visit. What could be going on? Thanks for your help!

2. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    You have a broody hen [​IMG] she probably hasn't been eating much. Does she have any eggs under her?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. grngni

Oct 21, 2009
    Lake Mills
    I thought she might be broody, but didn't expect the big patch of bare skin. No eggs at this time. I reach under and get them when I check for eggs, so she probaby did at one point.

4. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    you could always put some under there if the weather is alright where you are. Or try taking her off the nest and putting her out into the run for a bit. [​IMG]

5. grngni

Oct 21, 2009
    Lake Mills
    We really need her to share the nest since her 14 sisters are limited to 3 boxes while she's in the 4th, so I'll try keeping taking her out and try to break the broody spell she's under. What about that feather issue? We're going to have sub zero nights this weekend. If I convince her to get out, she's going to have goose bumps on her chicken skin! If she stays in the box, I suppose she'll be ok.
    They do have a heat lamp over their roosting ladder, but if she decides to come out of the box, I'm worried the other ladies might start pecking on that nice pink skin if they see it while she's on the roost. I already have one poor girl in a cage because they loved her back feathers so much. I can't let her out for a minute without them chasing her down. In fact, she managed to get out somehow a few days ago, and her back that had been practically recovered was pecked back to bare and bleeding skin again before in just a few hours.

6. Wild Chicken

Wild Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    West Michigan
    I'm anxious to see about the bare belly too....I have a broody (my first, and I am soooo excited) and she too has a bare belly. I'm thinking of letting her hatch a few eggs for me. She is so sweet and I'm sure would make a great mama [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by