1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hen with black growths on comb and around eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kelly's Chickens, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Kelly's Chickens

Kelly's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Wiggins, MS
    One year old BO hen has black growths on both sides of her comb and her eyes. I thought three of my hens were fighting but this isn't getting better, it's getting worse. I noticed it a few days ago but just now I looked again and it's worse. Her one eye has it on the white part and it has little bubbles around it. The other two hens are starting to get some on their combs and outside their eyes. They have been with my BO rooster for about a week and a half. He doesn't have any signs of it on him. I have 6 other hens and a bunch of chicks we hatched out in another coop. I switch the hens out about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks with the rooster - three at a time.
    All of my hens seem to be doing fine. These three are active, eating and drinking. They are still friendly and laying eggs. Is this some kind of disease or could it caused by the heat-it's been up to 106 everyday for a week?

[​IMG]

2. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    How are the mosquitos around you? Could be fowl pox. Don't panic before you read up on it. Its not a death sentence. Lots of info on here about it.

3. Kelly's Chickens

Kelly's Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Wiggins, MS
    The mosquito's aren't real bad right now. At least I haven't really noticed them much. These are the only three chickens that have these spots. I have 51 including all the new chicks and none of them have spots. I'll look up fowl pox and see what it says. I just fed all three hens some oatmeal liberally laced with garlic to see if that will help. I also applied a healing salve made with calendula flowers, plantain and comfrey in coconut oils with bees wax to thicken it.
    Here are two more pictures that came out better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by