HEN WITH BLOODY PLUG\DISCHARGE??? Help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mostofmytribehasfeathers, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mostofmytribehasfeathers

Mostofmytribehasfeathers Hatching

Mar 14, 2019
    I have 18 chickens and 7 ducks plus one turkey. This afternoon while feeding them I noticed one of my smaller hens had a bloody, almost plug protruding from her bum. She was picking at it and around the area so I cleaned her entire bum as best I could but am still worried as she continues to pick at it. I have never seen this before and I'm concerned because of the amount of animals I have that she will be singled out and that others will start to pick at her also... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I can send photos if needed for visual but it's really gross looking so didn't want to post prior...

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYc. It sounds like she might have a vent prolapse. Separate her from the flock with food and water in a dog crate, and take a clear picture.
    You might need to soak her in a warm bath to clean it off well enough. Epsom salts is good, soapy (Dawn) water, or betadine is also good. Her is some reading with pictures of a prolapse:
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This is a good picture of a prolapsed cloaca or vent.

upload_2019-3-14_16-36-15.jpeg
    Photo by amorfirelady

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Pics are good, post away!

5. Mostofmytribehasfeathers

Mostofmytribehasfeathers Hatching

Mar 14, 2019
    I believe this is exactly the issue should I bathe her regularly and will she heal on her own if I do this? It looks much better today there is no longer blood surrounding it and the swelling has gone down a lot..

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    For a prolapsed vent you can bathe in soapy warm water or Epsom salts. The main thing is to prevent black or necrotic tissue if the red internal tissue dries out. The prolapse should be pushed inside and held for several minutes to see if it will stay in. Apply honey, antibiotic ointment, hydrocortison cream, or oil to the pink tissue to keep it moist and prevent it from drying. To prevent laying eggs while the vent heals, you can keep her in amdark room or cage for 16 hours a day, letting her out for 8 hours daily to eat, drink, and walk around. It takes about 3 days to completely stop. Pictures would be helpful if you can post one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: