Hen with bloody rear end

Cornfedup

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2017
Looking for some thoughts from the experts... I have a 9 mo. old Pekin hen that had quite a bit of bright red blood on her rear this morning when we let the flock out for the day, tho she acted fine. There weren't any eggs in their house, and I couldnt see anything protruding that would indicate a prolapse. She's not exactly tame, though, so I didn't have the chance to examine her vent "up close and personal." My fat drake has been a bit over zealous lately and it's been hard on the girls since its too cold for the pool. She's his favorite, however - could it be a matter of over mating?

She's hard to get a hold of while they're loose, and I hate to chase her around the whole farm if she's injured, so I plan to wait and bring her in for a warm bath and physical when they come in for the night and I can isolate her. If it's a prolapse, can I just lubricate and try to put it back in place? Does this require a stitch?

Thanks for any input!

It may require a stitch and if it is a prolapse and it's been out all day it maybe too dry to get back in which would mean a vet also.

Hope it's neither but if she didn't lay this morning that sounds worrying, They can sometimes when first beginning to lay have a small amount of blood on an egg.If Mr. Drake is getting way to over zealous in mating give him some time out away from the girls.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. She's been laying for several months so it's not new layer thing. After getting a hold of her and a nice long soak in a warm tub, its not a prolapsed vent and she doesn't appear to be eggbound. I'm considering having fat roast drake for Sunday dinner.

He's in duck jail now, against my husband's better judgement. My concern now is that this drake is a big Roen, and I plan to start an Ancona laying flock this spring. If this is what he does to Pekin and Roen hens, what chance will the smaller Anconas have? We kept him around when the other drakes were culled just because he was extra pretty. I think his days of living off his looks are numbered. LOL!

Yep, and therein lies the problem. I free range completely. They don’t know what a fence is, so I’d have to build a duck prison for him and give him a life sentence. I kind of think that’s crueler than just butchering. :(

Back
Top Bottom