Hen With Bloody Stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flippyfeets, Jul 15, 2010.

1. flippyfeets

flippyfeets New Egg

May 26, 2010
    I have a hen that has a HUGE amount of blood (sometimes mixed with stool) under her when I let her out of the roost in the morning. I am thinking it is either coccidiosis or necrotic enteritis. We recently added two new pullets to our flock (about a week ago) and I don't know if they brought something with them or not. My question is where do I go to get medicine to treat my flock with? And, what kind of medicine do I need to buy? Do I need to go to a local vet to get it or can I order it online?

) What type of bird , age and weight.

Bantam Cochin Hen 1 year old ~5 lbs.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

Blood underneath her in the coop sometimes mixed with stool.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

2 days

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

blood in the stool, no other injury or behavior change

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Got 2 new pullets 1 week ago

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Scratch, medicated chick feed, and anything she finds in the backyard.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Bloody

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Nothing

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

treat myself if possible

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

No
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Pine chips in a box for a nest and a small coop with a roost that we lock them up in at night.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Sulmet is one treatment =sulfamethazine. Tractor supply has boluses(big pills) for cattle. Jefferslivestock.com u can order a packet. Correct dosage is important. In Indiana : Kent feeds has a medicated starter for chicks that works well. Sulmet can be expensive. Medicated feed is usually pennies more than regular.

3. flippyfeets

flippyfeets New Egg

May 26, 2010
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by