Hen with bloody vent- help needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skcup, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Skcup

Skcup Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a hen with a bloody vent. I noticed last night when I went out to the coop and saw blood on the bedding. I checked everyone out and one had blood and feces all over her vent. Stank to high heaven. Yuck and poor thing.

I brought her inside and washed off her vent, there's brownish tissue all around it that looks infected and may be dead tissue at this point. I wish I'd caught it earlier. She's been inside since then in a dog crate with clean bedding, food, some yoghurt and water with a bit of apple cider vinegar. I'm cleaning her off twice a day.

[ETA: tissue peeled off after a prolongued soak in the tub. It was just dried droppings]

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

She's not laying, she's about 8 months old and they all just went through a moult. RIH.

I don't think we have any avian vets locally so I can't even call to see what they advise.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Skcup

Skcup Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Also, I should mention that I can't for sure tell where the blood is coming from. It's fresh on the feathers below her vent like when she's pooping, it's splooshing out but there's no sign of blood at the actual vent site.

She's otherwise fine and bright and compliant.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. Skcup

Skcup Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Bumping this up with new info - I am having trouble figuring out what's going on.

I bathed her very thoroughly this morning and am now not so sure she's infected - there's definitely blood coming out of her but it doesn't seem to be coming out with the feces. When I bathed her, I left her in the warm water and she took a big crap and there was no blood but there was blood below her vent on her feathers this morning. It seemed somewhat coagulated. Is she maybe egg bound? As far as I can tell, she has not started laying yet but she is about the age to start.

There is no obvious distension in her abdomen but I'm really baffled. Beyond keeping her safe, dry, warm and seperate, what can I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by