Hen with blue/black crown

toomuchpizzaa

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2019
Texas
My lady seems to have the edge of her crown becoming darker and then has these scab like markings too. Her sister does peck her but it's never aggressive or on the crown itself.
Need help on what it could be and maybe how to treat it? I've been gone for awhile so I wasn't able to catch this earlier so hopefully it isn't too late to treat! Thank you for any help

20190930_091534.jpg

Folly's place

Enabler
9 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Welcome!
Photos are difficult, but if it hasn't been below freezing (not yet!) and her comb is turning blue/ purple, that's not good. I'd guess (only a guess!) a heart problem, fluid in her abdomen, or lung difficulties.
Good luck with her,
Mary

toomuchpizzaa

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2019
Texas
Welcome!
Photos are difficult, but if it hasn't been below freezing (not yet!) and her comb is turning blue/ purple, that's not good. I'd guess (only a guess!) a heart problem, fluid in her abdomen, or lung difficulties.
Good luck with her,
Mary

Hello and thank you! It's been nothing but hot here in Texas. Little worried to hear that but I'll keep an eye on her.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Something like electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench might be helpful, along with offering water, increasing water stations. Electrolytes should not be used more than a few days. During hot summer weather I place shallow pig pans half full of water in shaded areas for my chickens to stand in and cool their legs every day.

toomuchpizzaa

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2019
Texas
Something like electrolytes or Poultry NutriDrench might be helpful, along with offering water, increasing water stations. Electrolytes should not be used more than a few days. During hot summer weather I place shallow pig pans half full of water in shaded areas for my chickens to stand in and cool their legs every day.

We do have many water stations and they do dip their feets. But I haven't tried the electrolytes suggestion! Thank you for that I'll give it a try

Top Bottom