Hen with Broken Egg in Vent- Have Questions.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vickircafe, Jan 27, 2011.

1. vickircafe

vickircafe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2009
    Orange Lake, FL
    This morning I noticed my hen was quiet and puffed up. She had messy feathers by her vent for the past week or two. I tried to catch her a couple of times this past week to clean her but she was a lot faster than I am. Today, I picked her up and brought her in and put her in the tub with warm water and started washing her vent and feathers. I found a broken soft shelled egg partially coming out of the vent. I don't know how long this has been in there. Also had a very foul odor. I pulled out the egg casing and put my fingers inside to see if there was anymore to be pulled out. Just a little bit of pussy ooze came out. After taking her out of the tub, I wrapped her in a towel and used a syringe with sterile water to rinse the vent. The vent was very red and puffy at the opening. I mixed up some Duramycin- 10 with her water and put that in her tub with her, then some laying crumbles and plain yogurt. I read here on BYC that Duramycin- 10 is to prevent infection not cure it so I went to Tractor Supply and bought penicillin and 16 guage needles. I just gave her 1 shot of penicillin ( 1/4 cc ). My question is, when do I give her the next shot? Just 1 shot per day? Also is there anything else I should be doing? Should I rinse her vent again tonight or tomorrow?
    Thank-you for your help.

2. ErinG

ErinG Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't have an answer for you but I will bump you up on the list [​IMG] Good luck with your hen.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know absolutely nothing about giving antibiotics by injection, so will bump you again and hopefully someone will have an answer for you.. Hope your girl does real good. [​IMG]

4. vickircafe

Dec 22, 2009
    Orange Lake, FL
    So far she looks ok. She is not eating or drinking much but at least she is some. Her comb is tipped over. Instead of standing all puffed up she is laying down now. I have the room at 68 degrees to keep her warm.

5. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    My notes on giving Penicillin say to give 1 cc EOD (Every Other Day) for 10 days. You might want to check this with a vet.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    This is probably obvious, but I think she's egg bound. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  7. vickircafe

Dec 22, 2009
    Orange Lake, FL
    I am giving 1/4 cc after reading the info on a post from TammyP from SW Wisconsin. I have decided to only give it once a day for 4 days.

8. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Vickircafe, how is your hen?

9. vickircafe

Dec 22, 2009
    Orange Lake, FL
    She seems completely better now but is still not laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by