Hen with broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caralynnp, Jan 7, 2011.

1. caralynnp

caralynnp Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    One of my new hampshires is lying on ground one of her legs is definately broken. I can bend it any direction unlike other leg. she is lying on her side. Any suggestions of what to do?

2. tgperg

tgperg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    I just rehabbed a young rhode island red hen with a broken leg. She walks with a limp now but she is getting along pretty well. Depending on where the break is, you'll have to devise an appropriate splint. It takes quite a while to get her back to normal, but I can walk you through the process if you like. PM me.

Traci

3. caralynnp

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    Actually, I am not sure if it is broken, it is the place right where the feet meet feathers. It is like that joint is completely gone.

4. caralynnp

Jul 21, 2010
    Louisville
    it is broken at the joint where the tibiotarsus (leg) and the tarsometatarsus (shank) meet. I have attempted to splint it and I will put her in a crate at night because she won't be able to roost but I am not going to separate her unless I have to. I hate that this happened to her. I am going to try not to intervene too much because that usually makes things worse.

5. klutterer

klutterer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Folsom
    Have a look at my posting "Young hen with possible broken leg"and the advice I got about meds, splints, food, etc. There are some good links to ideas about slings and a cast.

For every answer, there seem to be new questions, but there are lots of things to try to make your hen more comfortable.

Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by