Hen with broken middle toe

Patti G

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 20, 2012
I have a Orpington hen with a broken middle toe? It's bent to the side, looks to be at the joint? She is limping and holding her foot up and unable to perch.
Should this be taped? Never had this problem, she must have gotten it caught on something, she does allow me to straighten it but, ot goes back to being bent immediatley.

Thank you so much in advance
Patti

I have a Orpington hen with a broken middle toe? It's bent to the side, looks to be at the joint? She is limping and holding her foot up and unable to perch.
Should this be taped? Never had this problem, she must have gotten it caught on something, she does allow me to straighten it but, ot goes back to being bent immediatley.

Thank you so much in advance
Patti
Maybe just cut it off at the joint?
What do I know? But I think that what I'd do to relieve the pain and get it out of her way.

DO NOT CUT IT OFF
barnie.gif

Give her a pain killer and take her to the vet.

DO NOT CUT IT OFF
barnie.gif

Give her a pain killer and take her to the vet.
They can't do much fora human's broken toe, I can't imaging being able to do anything with a chicken.

Vet is a 100 mi rt for me. Sharp scissors, some gauze and tape, along with some stiptic powder. See ya toe!

Got to be practical when you live in the wilderness.

Um..they cant do much with a human toe but they certainly dont cut it off as a result. Just leave it be and let it heal...even if it heals off set. It should be fine. Happens to people and theyre fine. Why needlessly cause that kind of pain.. let alone tisk infection.. for a broken bone that will heal.

You can try splinting it with a pipe cleaner - I would bend the pipe cleaner to double the strength and trim any sharp areas then secure with bandaid....I know baby asprin can be given for pain but I am unsure of dosage.

Last edited:
I have a turkey who's middle toe is broken, and we have tried several times to make a splint for it and it stays on for a week and then it falls off and doesn't look like it's helping at all, our next choice is to cut the sucker off but I don't know what will happen if we did that? Nothing on Google says anything about fixing a turkeys broke toe besides a splint, so if anyone has any info on what the next step would be to fix it please let me know if it would kill it or work asap! Thank you

Try to make a splint out of a popsicle stick. Then tie it with string. make sure you straiten the toe out before you do this. You might want to take him to the vet, though I don't think they could do anything other than either splint it or put it to sleep. Also cutting off the toe would make it no have much balance, and would have the risk of infection. But its your choice.

Back
Top Bottom