Hen with bubbles on one eye.

Chelseyb123

Songster
Oct 4, 2017
Maine
So now one of my hens has bubbles coming out of her eye. The rest of the flock is fine no coughing or sneezin. What could be the cause and what should i do. Clearly must be an illness. I do home remedies of cinnamon garlic acv Canyenne pepper each week. Im in maine its freezing out. Coop is dry well ventilated i dont use heat or lights.

Is it in one or both eyes? Mycoplasma gallisepticum or MG, a respiratory disease can cause eye bubbles and sinus infection. MG supposedly is about everywhere in backyard flocks, and whenever there is stress, such as very cold weather or molting, they can show symptoms. I have a hen who has never sneezed, had swollen eyes, or any other signs of a respiratory illness, but she will get foam in both eyes in cold weather. Somewhere your hen may have been exposed by another chicken or wild bird.
If she gets more symptoms, such as cough or sneeze, gasping, a puffy eye, or rattly breathing, I would consider giving her an antibiotic, such as Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally. Dosage is 1 ml for 5 pound hen, 1.5 ml for 7-8 pound hen, 2-3 times daily for 3-5 days. During and after, give her a tsp of plain yogurt daily for probiotics, and mix it into some food with a little water.

Its only one eye. When i went out again about. 20mins later her eye had no bubbles. I did clean both eyes with an eye solution. its very cold and windy out right now. They have been outside the coop today. I feed them outside the coop to help them come out more and get fresh air and theyre water is on a heater outside the coop. And hay on is on the ground so they dont have to directly on snow. But i can tell they are cold because they all puff out an huddle together more today. But the rest of my flocks eyes are normal. And this is the hen that got snowed on a little the other night when we had a big snow storm here.

My hen is in a small coop with two other chickens. She is the only one who gets this problem. I would keep an eye on her for any other symptoms.

Im going to keep her outside for now. Shes eat drinking pooping an acting normal. She does perfer to roost by herself at night if that makes a difference or not. No other signs so ill give 24hrs. And hopefully it clears up.

So last night before bed i checked on her she was actually roosting with everyone and no bubbles. Again this morning acting normal eating fine and no more bubbles. I wonder if it had to do anythig with it just being really cold an windy. Luckliy today its nice an sunny still freezing. But no wind.

New chicken owner hear and just noticed that one of my chickens has bubbles in one of her eyes accompanied by sneezing and clear nasal discharge with NO swollen/puffy face

I've read several posts about possible MG, sinus/raspatory infection, or foreign object in their nose. My question is how do i narrow it down and treat. So far I have used vetRX, with the suggestion of the person I bought her from. I have been cleaning her face with a warm towel and then applying VetRX to her head and using a cotton swab to rub inside her mouth. I've also started to administer some Tylan but has only been a day or two.

She is eating and acting completely normal, she isn't old enough to start laying so I'm not sure if egg production has slowed down at all. She has only been in her new coop for roughly a week with brand new bedding, pine shavings, and a fresh and clean coop. She has been eating crumbled layer feed and drinking normally.

IT SEEMS that when I clean her face mainly dirt around her nostrils and rub vetrx on them she stops sneezing. It also appears that she mainly sneezes at night when on the roosting bars.

How much Tylan are you giving and how often? Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally in chickens, 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 3-5 days. If you ever lose a chicken, you might want to get a necropsy done by your state vet to look for MG.

How much Tylan are you giving and how often? Tylan 50 injectable can be given orally in chickens, 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day for 3-5 days. If you ever lose a chicken, you might want to get a necropsy done by your state vet to look for MG.
I went with the water mixture method but going to switch to giving it to her orally. i have tylan 200 and i know its concentrated so i will need to find the dosage. I actually found another thread that you gave the dosage in "I would add 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) of Tylan 200 to 0.75 ml (3/4 ml) of water"

so 1 ml total but inly .25 for tylan 200 and .75 water

now the hard part is getting her to open up and take it.

Back
Top Bottom