1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen with bump above her I, possible sinus problem

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken4fun, Jan 16, 2014.

1. chicken4fun

chicken4fun New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    I have a hen that has a bump over her left eye. I think it might be the start of a respiratory infection, I gave her some Tylan 50 orally today. Was wondering if I should treat the flock as well, ever body else seems fine, except two hens do have poopy butt that they are just getting over. Any help would be great, new to this.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would not treat chickens who do not show symptoms, only the ones with swollen eyes. Tylan50 although given by some orally, is best if given as a shot into the breast muscle or subcutaneously (under the skin) into the back of the neck. Any chickens showing symptoms should be isolated from the rest if possible. Probiotics in the water may help after antibiotics or diarrhea. Here are some common diseases that can cause these swollen eyes: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. chicken4fun

chicken4fun New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    Thank you I had read this on list from one you had posted earlier. Thanks for the information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by