Hen With Chronic Illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dominogirl, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Dominogirl

Dominogirl New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Georgia
    I need help! I have a New Hampshire Red hen, about 2 years old, who has some sort of medical issue, but I don't know what to do. I have searched her specific symptoms here and on other sites, but it's just a weird collection of symptoms, and I haven't seen it described anywhere. So I'll try to give as good a description as I can:

About two months ago this hen had a bout of sour crop and didn't eat for four days. I had a vet look at her, we treated it, and she recovered. But she has had a pendulous crop since then that looks like it isn't going to get better (tried taking her off feed to give it a chance to recover, but nothing has worked). Anyway, right after she mostly recovered from the sour crop (in the sense that she was eating, drinking, and foraging normally with my other birds), this sort of depression-like state sunk in. I got worried, but then she had a rough moult, and I thought "ok, that's what it was."

But after the moult, even though it has been several weeks and all her feathers look right again, she is still depressed. She is always last out of the coop in the morning, and she hangs back from the rest of the flock a lot of the time.
    Here are her other symptoms: she sits around more than the other hens and doesn't always follow them around to forage during the day (or if she does follow them it is very slowly). She is eating and drinking, though not as voraciously as she used to. She has not lost any weight, and in fact feels heavier than before. When I pick her up she just seems kind of... swollen feeling? It's hard to describe, but she looks really fat all the time, and it's not all due to puffed feathers. You can see in this picture that something looks weird, especially considering that a few months ago she and that other hen were almost identical: [​IMG]

Also: about a day or so ago I noticed that there was poop all over her butt feathers that had not been there before. She just seems to be pooping on herself instead of properly squatting. It is greenish and soft, but not bloody or liquid. Here is a picture: [​IMG]

Her eyes and beak look normal, and her comb, wattles, and legs have not changed colors. She is not lame and will still hop up on her favorite perch to roost at night. But the poop thing is really worrisome, as is her lethargy. But she does not sit with her neck pulled in. Here is how she looks these days, neck fairly normal:
    [​IMG]

Can anyone help me figure out what's going on with my poor hen?? I just want her to feel better. :( :(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
  3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Worms can cause a poopy butt like that. When was the last time you wormed your flock?

Has she been laying?

MrsB

4. Dominogirl

Dominogirl New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Georgia
    I dewormed them all back in October. And she has been laying about one a week (usually averages 6 a week, but it has been cold, so I'm not sure how much is due to that).

5. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
  6. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I hope someone comes along with more experience than I have to help. :/

Please keep us updated.

MrsB

7. Dominogirl

Dominogirl New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    Georgia
    So here's an interesting update. I just found this poop in the yard. Milky white, fairly liquid, with what appears to be undigested hen pellets in it. I can't guarantee its from this hen (I have 11 of them running together), but she's the only one who has has any digestive problems, and she has been wandering around this area for the past 10 minutes or so...
    [​IMG]

8. MrsBrooke

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'd remove her from the flock to better monitor her food/water intake, behavior, and poops.

Dog crate and a towel with a heating pad work WONDERS for poor, sick chickens. Give her a little rest for a while. :)

Also, what wormer did you use?

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by