1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hen with clear runny nose?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenanneray, May 6, 2011.

1. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I have a hen that has suddenly come down with a runny nose. She seems tired and her tail is droopy.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    australorp hen, about 2-3 years old.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    runny nose, tired behavior, wants to sleep a lot, droopy tail
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    two or three days. my flock had mites, I dusted everyone, cleaned out coop with bleach solution 4 days ago.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    there is a lazy rooster, but no runny nose. i'm not sure if he's suddenly lazy because I removed a hen or if it is related to her issue.
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    none.
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    mentioned about dusting for mites, is it possible she inhaled dust on accident????
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    layer pellets (dumor brand i believe) scratch as a snack, some leftovers from the kitchen, free range in my yard a few hours a day.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    normal looking poo.
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    she has been removed from the flock, acv in her water.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    i would like to treat her completely myself.
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    i'll see if i can get a picture tonite.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    pine straw in their coop, she currently is in a crate with pine straw, food/water available and also a separate nest box available for her in the crate.

I have a total of 14 birds. Egg production has also dropped dramatically (normal 10-11 in one day, now only 2-5?!?!?!?). I checked and found mites, dusted, cleaned coop, etc.

Also, not sure if this would apply or not, but I've recently adopted a stray cat. He hangs around the birds, but has never touched one of them. (They chase him away, which is pretty hilarious, actually.) Could he have brought something to them and I not realized it? (like a wild bird feather or something, i don't know.)

Hopefully I'm just worried about nothing. But I am freaking out a little because I'm afraid I've done something wrong, or neglected something I should have done. I've had these chickens since march and this is the first time I've owned chickens.

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

So far it sounds like you are doing the right thing, isolating the hen. All I can say is to continue with the ACV in water and if possible give the hen antibiotics or electrolytes. I'm sorry I can't offer better advice.
    The mite infestation is a possible cause of the disease, and due to the incubation period of the bacteria, symptoms may not appear for a number of days, or the hen's body reacting to mite bites etc.
    Good luck with your hen, and I hope your hen recovers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by