Hen with Cocci, but maybe not??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bigcountry1009, Feb 18, 2015.

1. bigcountry1009

bigcountry1009 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2013
    Clinton, SC
    Hello, I have a sick hen. Found her Sunday evening in the run, isolated, lethargic, not moving and fluffed up with her head tucked in. Quarantined her immediately. Noticed her poop was very watery, clear or yellow with some white and brown traces. We started treating with Corid Monday afternoon. She wanted nothing to do with drinking or eating. We were syringe feeding her 5cc of the Corid solution and some yogurt. She has not gotten better or worse. Doesn't want to eat or drink. We are still giving 5cc of the solution. But I also noticed today her crop is mushy. Could she have sour crop instead? But she also hasn't eaten for certain in 3 days, so I assume there would be nothing in the crop in the first place. I'm at a loss. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    How old is she and what breed? If you are syringe feeding her, then she is getting food (which is good). Does her crop empty overnight? Check her crop tonight before bed, then in the morning it should have went down. If she has sour crop, it will be swollen like a water balloon in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  3. Urban Flock

Urban Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2014
    Southern Oregon
    If she has cocci there would be blood in her droppings. You need to get some food in her.

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    There are multiple cocci symptoms...and not all will contain blood.

I would certainly keep up the Corid..it will do your chicken no harm

Outpost JWB has given you great advice..check her crop in the morning...if she has sour crop try looking up the "sticky's" at the top of the Emergencies forum...

5. bigcountry1009

Jul 5, 2013
    Clinton, SC
    She's a 2 year old Black Australorp. I have not been feeding her. I've only been giving Corid from the syringe. She doesn't have sour crop if that's so. Her crop is just empty from her not eating. Do I need to keep up the yogurt then? what else could I feed her? She just has no interest what so ever in eating or drinking it appears. And my Corid mix is 1/2 tsp per gallon. I just draw up 5cc of that solution in a syringe and force it down her. Is that even enough?

6. bigcountry1009

Jul 5, 2013
    Clinton, SC
    She also shows signs of Ulcerative Enteritis maybe. Lots of white in her droppings, dull ruffled feathers with her head tucked in, lack of feeding. Would the antibiotics recommended interfere with the Corid? I'm just running ideas around.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

The feedstore I go to had six with poop like this, three of them died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsy report stated they all three died from severe coccidiosis.

-Kathy

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Powder dose is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon, *not* 1/2 teaspoon!, trust me on that! All posts that say 1/2 teaspoon are wrong.

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. bigcountry1009

Jul 5, 2013
    Clinton, SC
    Do I need to give more than 5cc of solution?

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If not drinking on her own, yes, much more. What size syringes do you have?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by