Hen with Contracted Feet, Off-Balance

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wehner Homestead, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Wehner Homestead

Wehner Homestead New Egg

Jun 18, 2017
    I have a almost 3 yr old laying Isa Brown that got sick last Friday (10
    days ago.) She had been more isolated the day before. She is eating/drinking as long as we keep things close. She is in a small crate to keep her from being picked on. She was with three other hens that seem to be fine. She has laid two eggs during the last 10 days that show signs of stress. I gave her vit B injections for 7 days as she seemed to be better one day and worse the next. Her balance is off but she still flaps her wings with the injections. She also recognizes my voice. None of the vets in our area have poultry experience. Her legs won't seem to support her weight and her toes and legs are curled under her. Any suggestions of anything I can do to save her or would it be more humane to cull her?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I personally would cull. I have never been able to fix a sick chicken long term. As far as what could be wrong with her things like Mareks comes to mind, but that's just a guess. When a chicken can no longer can walk it generally won't get better no matter what you try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by