Hen with cord hanging from vent???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hannakat, May 7, 2011.

1. hannakat

hannakat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I hope you can see it in this picture. The rooster was seen chasing her, holding her down and when he got off, she just layed there. When she got up this was seen. She seemed in moderate distress and is now in the coop on the roost, away from everyone else.

This 'cord' is about 5" long.....please let me know what it is and what to do. THANKS! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    your saying "cord" is it some kind of foreign object or part of her insides? hard to tell by the picture other than it's white. what ever it is I would not try to pull it out. keep her where you can watch her to see if she poops it out or somehow expells it.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  3. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    I believe it is part of her insides.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: May 7, 2011
  5. hannakat

Jun 5, 2010
    Beaver County, PA
    Thanks Miss Lydia. The illistration is great. She is part of a group of about 25 so it's not possible to know when she last laid an egg [​IMG] Guess it's watch and wait.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might want to keep her separate from the rest so you can moniter this, and also one of the other chickens may grab a hold of it and pull on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by