Hen with crusty butt feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chippysmom327, Aug 21, 2013.

1. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    My hen has been getting crusty butt feathers lately. The first time (when I got her) her whole butt had poop all over it, and looked like vent gleet but without the redness and foul smell, discharge, etc. We gave her a warm bath with Dawn dish soap and she was fine. Has a nice, fluffy butt. This was last week.

Today I noticed the problem is reappearing. She has normal poop (weird I know), always a healthy crop, no redness around the vent, no lice or mites, and lays clean eggs daily. Something just isn't adding up. All of my other chickens are perfectly fine.

Any idea what's happening? It's stumping me. She's a very healthy bird otherwise.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Is it just that her butt is so fluffy that the poop gets caught on the feathers? Some people trim the feathers just to keep them clean, with certain hens.

3. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Her butt isn't as fluffy as my other hen's though. My other hen's butt is way fluffier and she never had a problem.

It would also mean I'd have to cut about half of her butt fluff off. She wouldn't look right...

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You say that when you first got her, it looked like vent gleet, but without the discharge. Not sure I understand that. If the feathers are a mess, what would they be messy with, if not a discharge?

Vent gleet is a complex group of conditions, basically having to do with an intestinal imbalance of some sort. I'll give you a couple of links on it, in case you want to try treating it as vent gleet.

http://www.birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/vent_gleet.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/796143/is-this-vent-gleet/0_20#post_11482574

5. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    It didn't look EXACTLY like vent gleet, but it looked somewhat similar. The pictures I've seen have wet, gross poop "slicking" down the feathers. Her poop is all dry and hardened. The vent wasn't red and irratated/inflamed and there was nothing else except the crusted bum feathers.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    Today I noticed on the coop floor there is some diarrhea. Not insanely watery, explosive diarrhea but just really soft poop that could easily get caught in her feathers. Don't know why though. There's no worms or blood in it, and she's eating and drinking fine.

Should I give everyone some yogurt? Would that help?

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might read this link about vent gleet. I have some ameraucanas that repeatedly get the dried on poopy butt feathers, and although they also don't have the redness of gleet, I'm going to be giving them more ACV and yogurt than I have. Also worming may clear them up. Here is the link: http://www.ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vent_Gleet

8. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    You know what's funny? She's an ameraucana. I have some fresh garlic that I could use if you think it would help. I have ACV, but I don't know if it has the mother in it or not... :/

9. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to have an Easter egger with the same problem too.

10. chippysmom327

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA

Should I just bathe her/trim her feathers often?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by