Hen with dark, jiggly bloody stool!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fosterfarm, Jun 4, 2011.

1. fosterfarm

fosterfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Hi there,

We have a hen, who was fine and feisty as usual yesterday, but very quiet and less energetic today. We noticed that she had a couple of poohs that looked like the intestinal lining picture, with some light blood in it. But then she had a weird poo with a white glob that resembled the lining of an egg, right under a shell. She also had some egg white with blood that she dropped and then this evening she poohed a dark red glob that looked like coagulated blood! What on earth could it be? She is eating and drinking, although less than normal, and her comb and face are pink today rather than dark red as usual.

Please help!

2. Mykee

Mykee Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know for sure, but she might have somehow injured her egg-laying tract. This is just a wild guess, but because of the egg parts and bloody droppings, it might be. Maybe if you seperate her and give her some antibiotic so she doesn't get infected she will recover naturally.

3. fosterfarm

Jul 26, 2009
    Thank you, that seems like it might be it. I sure hope that's all it is. We have her isolated and comfy, and will pick up some antibiotics tomorrow. We sure hope the little lady is going to be okay!

4. ReeseTheChick

ReeseTheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Keep us updated and good luck! :]

5. fosterfarm

Jul 26, 2009
    She survived the night, seems to be okay, but still not very energetic. Will try to find some antibiotics today. [​IMG]

6. fosterfarm

Jul 26, 2009
    Here's an update, we bought some antibiotics and vitamins yesterday and she had some, is having some more right now. She only had one weird pooh yesterday morning (one of the intestinal lining ones) and all has been normal since then. Thanks for the suggestion. We weren't sure what to do, as it was very scary! I'm wondering if she had indeed injured the egg laying tract and had pooped out some blood clots. It was a very large amount, but that's all I can think. Sometimes I wish I had a vet for a best friend! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by