Hen with Diarrhea after Injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fourfeathers, Sep 5, 2010.

1. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    I have a hen that had a severe injury on her abdomen, about a 5" x 3" opening down to the muscle, about 3 1/2 weeks ago. I noticed her acting lethargic about 1-2 days after it must have happened and picked her up to investigate. Maggots had infested and she was draining a lot. Called the vet and we flushed ALL the maggots, etc out, cleaned the wound, and then I flushed and packed it for 7-10 days with antibacterial ointment and had her on antibiotics (cephalexin) for 2 weeks. We have been off the antibiotics for over a week and the wound is looking better, getting smaller, new tissue growing back. It is about 3" x 2" now. She did not appear to have suffered direct damage to her vent, but vet did say when she starts laying again that I may notice brusing. MY QUESTION: she has not had a solid stool since the accident and still has diarrhea. I have dewormed her, am feeding her layer crumbles, some cat food for protein (started that 4 days ago) and tried to give her some yogurt which she will only eat a little of. She is drinking quite a bit. She is INDOORS in a 3' dogcrate and on puppy pads that I change several times a day. Any suggestions as to why she is having such diarrhea? The vet thinks because of the trauma and healing process and antibiotics. I gave her a bit of acidophyllis today. Any other suggestions?? I will take a fecal in to the vet on tuesday to rule out coccidia. I doesn't look like coccidia though at all, been there, had that:(
    I did go to the feedstore(s) and tried to find some probiotics to mix in the water but only found some in a gel for horses which is why I gave her the diluted acidophyllis for people.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's possible that the diarrhea is caused by the antibiotic, in which case, probiotics are a good way to go. Might try yogurt or another source or two to increase the good germs. Just a thought. People certainly commonly get diarrhea from antibiotics.

3. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    Thanks. Tried the yogurt but she turned her beak up at 4 different flavors. Ordered some probiotics from Jeffers and also took a fecal into the vet to rule out worms or coccidia (it was negative). So, hope the pro-B helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by