Hen with diarrhea

Pics

Matilda Belle

Crowing
May 16, 2018
SE Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
She is a little over a year old. I feed chick starter and put vitamins and probiotics in water. She is not free range so her diet is consistent. She has always had tummy troubles but lately it seems worse. No other chickens with symptoms. Not wormed. No mites or lice. Could she just have a sensitive stomach?

Sorry for the gross picture but this poop is all hers.

Attachments

• ABEE896C-7D00-44B5-82E1-9236A3D84899.jpeg
    ABEE896C-7D00-44B5-82E1-9236A3D84899.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I will try the rice.
Not sure if it's relevant, but she drinks quite a bit and always has a crop full of water. Just thought I'd let you know that as well.
Nice coop and run!
Check her crop first thing in the morning before she has had anything to eat/drink - it should be empty or flat. If it's still full, then she's got a crop issue - read the article below and let us know if this is part of her problem.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

This chicken has an impacted or slow crop. Switching feed is not going to help clear up the problem.

It's up to you if you want to switch feeds - feed is a personal preference. I use an all flock/flock raiser feed for my flock it's 20% protein - I feed this to just hatched to the old and have no problem. IF my normal feed is not available, then I use chick starter.

Crop issues can often be a symptom of an underlying condition - reproductive disorders (EYP, cancer, etc.), worms, coccidiosis, blockage and infection are a few common conditions that can cause the digestive system to slow or not function properly.
It's important to treat the crop problem, but also be aware/take note of anything else that may be occurring.

She is a little over a year old. I feed chick starter and put vitamins and probiotics in water. She is not free range so her diet is consistent. She has always had tummy troubles but lately it seems worse. No other chickens with symptoms. Not wormed. No mites or lice. Could she just have a sensitive stomach?

Sorry for the gross picture but this poop is all hers.
Can you post some photos of the hen and housing?
Taking a sample of poop to your vet for testing would be a good idea.
In the mean time, I would give her a small amount of white rice with buttermilk to see if that helps with the loose stools.

Attachments

• ABD184F1-3377-4E69-A86B-1C23F1AE60C9.jpeg
    ABD184F1-3377-4E69-A86B-1C23F1AE60C9.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 30
  • FA53BB49-F71E-4BAF-8936-1EC5597D3470.jpeg
    FA53BB49-F71E-4BAF-8936-1EC5597D3470.jpeg
    503.7 KB · Views: 29
  • CD6964D1-0C42-47B6-9A72-3C891BFDB11B.jpeg
    CD6964D1-0C42-47B6-9A72-3C891BFDB11B.jpeg
    601.3 KB · Views: 29
It’s not hard like it was this morning. She’s been drinking water so now it feels more like a water balloon with pebbles in it. She must still have food in it from yesterday. Try dulcolax?
You can try the stool softener. If today is the first day you tried oil, then you may want to give her a bit more this evening before roosting. Massage the crop for several minutes, careful not to push the contents into her airway, then re-check again in the morning.
I have had results with just oil, but sometimes if I can't get a hard crop to resolve after a few days, I will also give 1 stool softener (stimulant free!).

Can she have food at all during this process? I’ll run to the store and get dulcolax.
Make sure it's says stimulant free and it's just stool softener - you do not want laxative.

It's usually better if they don't eat for a day if the crop is hard and impacted, but if you feel she needs something I would give her a little wet soupy feed or a bit of scrambled egg. If the crop is impacted and not moving, then adding food just compounds the problem.

I didn't get this message until now. Last night I decided to try the stool softener before bed. I gave her 1/2 cc (3 capsules) and this morning her crop is still full and hard.
I would continue to try to work at massaging the crop. Coconut/olive oil - see if you can manipulate or start breaking it down. She could have a blockage lower that is prohibiting the contents from emptying.
Is she pooping?

Back
Top Bottom