Hen with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by animallover505, Feb 18, 2013.

1. my hen has diarrhea, but it looks normal, just sloppy. She is otherwise healthy, lays an egg every day. So..., what's going on?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
  3. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    I have never seen that poop chart. Its really good!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    With all due respect, I have had necropsies done on birds that had poop that would have been considered "normal" on that link, but the birds that died, died from coccidiosis. If your bird has the occasional odd looking poop, I wouldn't worry, but if it has changed and is runny, bloody or a different color all_of_the_time, you probably have a problem.

5. ChiChiLady

ChiChiLady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2012
    Burlington VT
    What about smell? I occationally notice a punget smell that does not smell like normal chicken poop. I am thinking of starting to use some apple cider vinager regularly in there water. the birds all look and act fine, they are young between 10 months and 7 months old. should I be concernd about odd smelling poop?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Coccidiosis often has a horrible smell, so yes, I would be concerned. ACV can't hurt, and if they are eating/drinking normally and NOT losing weight, I just watch them. However, if they aren't eating/drinking normally, I take more drastic measures.

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am a firm believer in weighing birds (see avatar), you might want to get a baseline weight on them. Any weight loss is a sign that something is wrong.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It's also important to de-worm your birds with a wormer like Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole). I do this whenever I see one that looks a little off.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FYI, Wazine (piperazine) only treats roundworms.

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If your birds are eating/drinking normally, laying eggs, acting like a chicken should...then nothing is wrong. Smelly poop is cecal poop, normal about every 8-10 droppings. If it's constant, then there's a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by