Hen with difficulty walking. Legs or abdomen the issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nitsirk, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Nitsirk

Nitsirk New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Hen is about 4+ (5?) years old, weight about 5 lbs. "keel" is fairly prominent. I've rarely been able to hold her so not sure how long its been like this.
    Low in pecking order, feathers very nibbled by someone in our small flock.

Noticed yesterday that her stance was odd, and at night she was in the lower nest box when everyone else was up on their roost. Her legs are in "crouched" position most of the time, she gets around but slowly.

Post-bath (which I realize should have skipped now), she is quite alert, appetite is good. I've fed her yogurt, peanuts (with gusto!) raisins & sunflower seeds. Egg is next.

Have read several posts on swollen abdomen. Hers feels pretty firm and round, I think a bit more than usual compared to the other hens. But it almost seems more to be her legs having the issue? She moves only a little and stumbles a bit. Am going to call the vet tomorrow but looking to see if anyone else has had this.

Poops have been varied and fairly normal. Since I brought her inside today: Solid greenish with bits of white, soft green paste, liquid with green & white, and another more solid dropping, bit of liquid again, and then more small solids.

Tried probing with lube & glove, but wasn't able to get in very far. She squeaked. There is a firm spot on the lower left of her abdomen that I can feel near her leg.

Just now was straining a bit, only a little dribble of poo coming out, and she squeaked each time. Hadn't done that with earlier poops.

Gave her more peanuts and she moved around for those. Now she's resting, laying on carpet.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Has she laid eggs lately? Some of her symptoms can be associated with internal laying. They can have problems walking, preferring to sit, appetite decreased, runny stools, loss of weight in the keel, sometimes swelling or tightness in the lower abdomen, and some will walk upright or like a penguin. There is not a lot that can be done except to make them comfortable and to end suffering when the time comes. Here is some information to help in case this might be her problem:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
    http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/639749/timeline-of-internal-laying-update

3. Nitsirk

Nitsirk New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Thanks for the links @Eggcessive !
    She (Little Rose) hasn't laid an egg in the past few days, but all my girls seem to take breaks and then resume. This morning there was a yolk at the bottom of her recuperation crate, and she's eating oyster shell, peanuts, etc. Walking around much better but still bulgy.
    Her poops have been more liquid this morning, I'll keep monitoring them. Going to keep her inside for the next few days so she can stay warm & I can watch what happens. Will see if I can get penicillin. Husband read one article & thinks she's cured, I am leaning pessimistic because I've read too many articles. Argh.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  5. Nitsirk

Nitsirk New Egg

Feb 21, 2016
    Well, it was what I'd feared but had hoped against. She had a lot of fluid buildup and our vet was able to feel at least one egg where it shouldn't have been. I'm grateful they were able to see us so quickly yesterday, even if it was to put her down. At least this gave me a chance to actually get to know her a bit (she'd never let me close before this) and a big reminder to watch the rest of the flock more carefully. RIP Little Rose.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry for your loss. At least she isn't suffering.

7. Squizz

Squizz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Ireland
    Sorry to hear about your loss, chin up, you tried and went and got some help xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by