Hen with dime sized hole pecked in back

CricketFarm

Chirping
Jul 16, 2016
Canada

My other hens did this, i separate her, how do i heal her?

I have not had to deal with that one yet. Dang.

Looks pretty deep.

You have her separated? She is clean and dry? The feathers are missing too?

Do you know why they chose to peck her back?

I would clean it out really good with some vetricyn, they even sell one specifically for poultry. It's expensive but will last for a long time. You will want to keep her seperate and spray thr vetricyn on the wound every day untill it is healed. When you do put her back put no pick lotion in the area or some other bitter tasting medication to keep them from pecking at It again. And like Nineplus5 asked, what possessed the chickens to peck that one spot so deep? Your going to want to try to figure out why to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Last edited:
Is she alert?

Flush the wound with sterile water, saline or Betadine.
Apply some triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) or vetericyn.

Keep her warm. Place her on clean dry bedding. Offer some electrolytes for a day or so if she seems shocky, if you don't have that give a little sugar water. Offer her some extra protein like egg, tuna or mackerel.

Watch for an signs of infection like pus or odors.

If you have a vet available that would be best.

Next you need to figure out why she was being attacked. Has she been acting sick at all?

I have not had to deal with that one yet.  Dang.

Looks pretty deep.

You have her separated?  She is clean and dry?  The feathers are missing too?

Do you know why they chose to peck her back?

Yes she is in isolation cage next to broody hens. Very clean and dry; on a covered deck. The feathers are missing when i got her. I rescued a flock of 11 who were naked from the rooster he said. Some feathers start to grow back but sometimes they all disappear. I take out the ones who cant seem to grow feathers back an put them with my nice hens who do not fight. We left for vacation 5 days ago and had others feeding them. I came back yesterday morning and the new feathers were all gone and then i check them last night and she has this and another had a bunch of blood feathers ripped out an was bloody back but no skin broken. It seems when they pull a feather out, especially a blood feather, it will start to bleed a bit and then they all pick the red spot. I think maybe she was trying to sit on a nest to lay and someone else wanted the nest.

Quote: Overcrowding, boredom or nutritional deficiencies can cause feather plucking.

Since these are rescues, you may want to look into nutritional deficiencies. Feeding extra protein diet either by using a commercial all flock/flock raiser formula(20%) or supplying protein 2-3X a week (eggs, tuna, mackerel, meat) may be beneficial. Provide oyster shell free choice for calcium needs.

Overcrowding and boredom turn sweet hens into grumpy old biddies. How much room/space do you have in the coop and run? Supply multiple feeders and waterers, so there is no bullying at the feed/water stations. If they are kept in a run, place some perches or other things in the run so they can get out of each others way or hide if need be. Throw in fresh fruits/veggies, weeds, a pile of leaves, etc., this is busy work and keep them occupied.

Some of the hens that have "rooster damage" won't grow feathers back until it is time for them to molt. Depending on their age, it may be a while. Also check them for any signs of mites/lice, this can cause them to start plucking at their own feathers.

Keep us posted on her progress.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/chicken-feather-loss-cannibalism-causes.html

I would clean it out really good with some vetricyn, they even sell one specifically for poultry. It's expensive but will last for a long time. You will want to keep her seperate and spray thr vetricyn on the wound every day untill it is healed. When you do put her back put no pick lotion in the area or some other bitter tasting medication to keep them from pecking at It again. And like Nineplus5 asked, what possessed the chickens to peck that one spot so deep? Your going to want to try to figure out why to make sure it doesn't happen again.
where do i get vetricyn? I will not put her back with them i will put her with my nice hens when her back heals. I think she was laying an egg ( they lay underbush in the orchard) and someone else wanted that nest is why maybe.

Is she alert?

Flush the wound with sterile water, saline or Betadine.
Apply some triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) or vetericyn.

Keep her warm. Place her on clean dry bedding. Offer some electrolytes for a day or so if she seems shocky, if you don't have that give a little sugar water.  Offer her some extra protein like egg, tuna or mackerel.

Watch for an signs of infection like pus or odors.

If you have a vet available that would be best.

Next you need to figure out why she was being attacked. Has she been acting sick at all?

She is acting fine, both then and now isolated.
I cleaned it with water and filled the hole with melagel, like polysporin but with tea tree oil. I want to try vetricyn. Will she be watm enough outside? She is on a covered deck. Not acting sick. I will give sugar water and tuna. What about 25% food? I have some for my quails.

Overcrowding, boredom or nutritional deficiencies can cause feather plucking.

Since these are rescues, you may want to look into nutritional deficiencies.  Feeding extra  protein diet either by using a commercial all flock/flock raiser formula(20%) or supplying protein 2-3X a week (eggs, tuna, mackerel, meat) may be beneficial. Provide oyster shell free choice for calcium needs.

Overcrowding and boredom turn sweet hens into grumpy old biddies.  How much room/space do you have in the coop and run?  Supply multiple feeders and waterers, so there is no bullying at the feed/water stations. If they are kept in a run, place some perches or other things in the run so they can get out of each others way or hide if need be. Throw in fresh fruits/veggies, weeds, a pile of leaves, etc., this is busy work and keep them occupied.

Some of the hens that have "rooster damage" won't grow feathers back until it is time for them to molt. Depending on their age, it may be a while.  Also check them for any signs of mites/lice, this can cause them to start plucking at their own feathers.

Keep us posted on her progress.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/chicken-feather-loss-cannibalism-causes.html

Yes they were living in a greenhouse with two roosters. They have an orchard now to themself. I was giving black oil sunflower and 20 grower and when they started laying again i give them layer pellets now. They stop laying last week. I can give tuna, what about salmon? The orchard is dry so i scatter food for them to eat so they dont fight. I also give barley at night if its windy.
They should all be about a year an a half, so about to have first molt. My other regular birds are molting hard, same age, but these girls seems not yet. Orchard is big and they explore and things. Maybe just one mean bird? We already had to take out one and gve to the rooster because she would grab the others feathers and hold even when they try to run away! Maybe there is another like her i havent found yet. I will take out the naked ones and maybe the mean one will be left obvious. They have no lice mites i check often especially with rescues

Back
Top Bottom