Hen with dislocated hip--laying possible?

hunthaven

Songster
Dec 13, 2018
Tampa Bay, FL
Hi, everyone!

Amber is a Red Star who's nine months old. She's had a dislocated hip since I first got her at 6 weeks old, but she has adjusted and skips instead of runs.

My question has to do with her laying eggs--she hasn't started yet, but this morning I caught her squatting for Mr. Sprinkles the rooster, so I know it's time. Will that hip dislocation give her trouble, do you think? Could she get egg bound because something is out of place? Anyone else have experience with this?

She was in my group of first hens, and when she was young I thought her limp was Bumblefoot or something. By the time I worked up the nerve to catch her and examine her, I realized her feet were okay, but her hips had probably already fused into that wrong position. I've always made sure none of the other hens picked on her, and she's fine. But now I'm wondering about eggs . . .

Of course she will lay eggs as long as she can still get around and get into a nest, unless she has some sort of reproductive issue.

Years ago, an EE hen of mine developed lameness, getting much worse over the period of several years. She never quit laying. Eventually, she could no longer creep into the nesting dog crate I placed in her safe pen. She couldn't make it to the feed bowl or water, either. That's when I had to euthanize her.

You may need to give your hen a bit of assistance, but she should lay soon. You might try giving her a vitamin B-complex tablet every day. I have a lame GLW hen at present that has gotten stronger in her lame leg due to the vitamin B-complex I give her.

It would be helpful as well if you could post a couple of pictures of her standing. Sorry about her hip problem, and hopefully she will start laying soon.

Back
Top Bottom