Hen with distended stomach.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dillon59725, Jun 19, 2016.

1. dillon59725

dillon59725 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    I have a Polish X hen. She was pasted up last week and I cleaned her up and returned her to coop. A week later she is pasted
    again, walking like a penquin with a distended stomach. She is alert and eating. I soaked her in warm water for about 15 minutes
    then checked for Egg Bound. Nothing blocking and nothing in oviduct. With my finger inserted in cloaca brownish fluid was
    released as I depressed her stomach, about a cup's worth? I do not know where the liquid was coming from. She was dried and returned to coop.
    Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It's possible that she might have ascites or fluid collecting in her belly. That can occur with heart failure, infection of the oviduct, cancer, egg yolk peritonitis, or internal laying. Fluid can be periodically drained from the belly with an 18 gauge needle stuck just under the skin, and that can relieve pain and pressure. As for her constipation, you may want to give her a 1/2 tsp of either molasses or castor oil, just one time. Make sure that she drinks plenty of water. Read post # 4 in this link about ascites for pictures: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/853726/ascites-in-desperate-need-of-some-help-and-guidance

3. dillon59725

dillon59725 New Egg

Jun 19, 2016
    Thank you for your quick response and the link. This hen is about 4 years old and seemed to be in good health until I noticed her about 2 weeks ago. The digital palpation resulted in nothing that I could feel. She is thin, except for the distended stomach and had been alert and eating although moving slowly. Well, after her ordeal this morning... expecting her to feel better, now she looks poor. I will monitor and look
    for occurrence of fluid build up. I will observe water intake and treat with the molasses. Thank you again for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by