hen with dripping blood

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by grandledgechickie, Apr 13, 2011.

1. grandledgechickie

grandledgechickie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    Went out this morning to check on everyone and we have a hen dripping blood from her bottom? Kinda looks like hemorroids??
    She is almost at laying age but it looks similar to what a baby chicks bottom looks like when they have the poopies blocked up on there bottoms.
    Should we try and pull on the thing hanging dripping blood?
    Not sure what to do or what it could be?

HELP

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    DO NOT PULL THE THING DRIPPING BLOOD!!! She has a prolapse and the thing needs to be pushed back in.

Separate her from the other birds. If they see her dripping blood they will cannibalize her. Give her a nice warm bath and let her soak for 15 minutes or so. Apply Preparation H to the prolapse and gently try to push it back in. Keep her separate until you are sure the prolapse is not going to recur. If it happens again or the Prep H isn't working try applying a paste of honey or sugar to the area to get the tissues to shrink. It should go back in, but there is an increased risk of it happening again once it happens the first time.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. grandledgechickie

Feb 20, 2011
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I did pick her up and put her in her own pen, and Im going right now to buy some prep. H.
    We have only been at this a year so can you educate me on what this is exactly?

Thank you again, SO MUCH![​IMG]

Karen

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    She has pushed out some of her insides while laying an egg. It happens sometimes and there's nothing you can do to stop it really. The trick is to catch it early before any of the other birds notice it. If you catch it, it can be treated. It may never happen again, or it may happen regularly.

5. grandledgechickie

Feb 20, 2011
    Hmmm???? I haven't noticed her laying yet, all of the hens are young but close to laying in that pen. We did get 1 egg the other day but it was a lt brown/cream color and she is suppose to be laying the dark brown eggs. Its possible it could have been her and it would explain the problem. I went to get the prep h, that stuffs expensive-luckily found a coupon on the box!!
    My husband and I are going to try out your advice, we will let you know how she does....THANKS AGAIN!

6. grandledgechickie

Feb 20, 2011
    I wanted to give a huge thank you to TRU BYC for your advice! As odd as it was to do, my hen, Helen, has healed and has since layed 2 eggs with no problems! I happened to be out in the barn this morning where she has been in her own pen and saw her laying another egg, no blood or problems and everything stayed where it should!

Thanks again for the advice [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it! Good luck with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by