Hen with droopy head, wings and tail but has survived for months!

jemma123

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2023
Hi all.
I have a chicken who started showing symptoms since the middle of October 2022. She holds her head low and has droopy wings and a droopy tail, she doesn't hold herself like a normal chicken. I didn't expect her to live so long as she looks awful and stays inside the coop most of the time (free range chickens), I have been feeding (soaked barley, corn, layer pellets, occasional scraps) her separately twice a day and she would come outside to sit under a tree occasionally. Recently she has been coming out for almost the entire day, and is somewhat mobile but she still has all the same symptoms. I've asked knowledgeable friends, looked online, and come up with nothing. At this point I'm putting it out there for anyone who is interested and wants a weird case to solve as clearly it's not super urgent if she has survived this long and she doesn't seem to be in pain. I'm also very interested to see what people think. Not sure on exact age, but she isn't super young. At first I thought it was just old age but then she wouldn't have lived this long..? No other chickens in the flock have these symptoms. Don't think she is laying eggs. Have treated her scaly legs. Will attach a photo so you have a better idea of what she looks like.

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    366.7 KB · Views: 160
who started showing symptoms since the middle of October 2022. She holds her head low and has droopy wings and a droopy tail, she doesn't hold herself like a normal chicken. I didn't expect her to live so long
If she's been like this since October, then I'd leave her be and let her chicken.

There's really no way to know what's happened with her, possibly some type of injury. If it's disease, then it's a slow progress.
Probably the only way to know would be if you lose her and send the body to your state lab and have the Pathologist give a report.

Can you post close up pictures of her face? And of her poop? Can you give her raw yolk and some meat?
@SmiYa0126 Here's a better one of her head, if I see her poop I'll get a photo. I can add those things to her diet more regularly for sure :)

Attachments

• IMG_8135.jpg
    IMG_8135.jpg
    764.7 KB · Views: 5
@SmiYa0126 Here's a better one of her head, if I see her poop I'll get a photo. I can add those things to her diet more regularly for sure :)
How does her neck feel? Be very gentle, but does the vertebrae feel twisted, or have any abnormalities lumps?

Is she able to preen, dust bathe, etc? Is she an okay weight, eating okay?

I'm inclined to agree with Wyorp Rock, it may be an old injury, perhaps she didn't heal right and ended up like this. If her quality of life is okay, then I wouldn't be too worried. But that said, it's definitely interesting, and it would be good to narrow down the cause, if we can.

How does her neck feel? Be very gentle, but does the vertebrae feel twisted, or have any abnormalities lumps?

Is she able to preen, dust bathe, etc? Is she an okay weight, eating okay?

I'm inclined to agree with Wyorp Rock, it may be an old injury, perhaps she didn't heal right and ended up like this. If her quality of life is okay, then I wouldn't be too worried. But that said, it's definitely interesting, and it would be good to narrow down the cause, if we
Thanks for your reply. I just fed her and felt her neck, as far as I can tell I think there might be a curve in it. If you look from above it looks like a vague “s” shape. So possibly a neck/spine injury? That would explain the droopy wings.. She does preen, haven’t seen her bathing. Has a massive appetite but slightly underweight. Overall she does seem reasonably happy, has definitely become more active in the last week.

Thanks for your reply. I just fed her and felt her neck, as far as I can tell I think there might be a curve in it. If you look from above it looks like a vague “s” shape. So possibly a neck/spine injury? That would explain the droopy wings.. She does preen, haven’t seen her bathing. Has a massive appetite but slightly underweight. Overall she does seem reasonably happy, has definitely become more active in the last week.
That's what I'm thinking. There are also vitamin deficiencies that can result in changes to the neck shape, but based on how long she has been like this, and that she is doing better, I don't think that's the cause.

Would you say she's actively losing weight, or just not putting any on? I'd just monitor her, perhaps weigh her weekly, or every other week. If she's losing weight, it may be worth testing for worms, or perhaps adjusting her diet/feed routine. If she's eating plenty, staying about the same and isn't severely underweight, I wouldn't be as worried.

Her quality of life is the most important thing, the fact she is able to preen is good. Is she able to get around, in and out of the coop? If so, I wouldn't be too worried about her, just keep an eye on her weight etc :)

Back
Top Bottom