Hen with eggs in my house, has mites bad, is Sevin safe, will I ever be able to treat them

Loveoursilkies

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 21, 2012
I used to love chickens, but these mites are making me want to give up. I moved this hen inside when it was zero degrees, shortly after, mites were everywhere. I have yet to see any in my flock with them, although I started dusting today, with Sevin, dusted the birds too, the feed mill sold me the stuff, said it is for poultry and is safe on them, it has the exact ingredient as Sevin. The mom here has so many (the one in my house), I am sick. Most aren't getting our, they are sticking to duct tape I used to "trap" them. Now I probably killed the chicks as I dusted mom too, ready to hatch in a few days. Then I read on here this may not be safe at all. I'd love to just stick the mom back in the coop, but, I hate to until I can get control of these, or I'll have a huge mess out there. We wanted to sell a few of our silkies and I'm thinking we are stuck with this for life. I'm ready to cry, as I just don't know what to do. I've hid this from my husband, or he would die if he knew she had mites in here. Will they go away when she is put outside. Again, makes me so sick. This is our first mite issue and I just hope I can make it through it. I love chickens and want a life with them, but not sure we'll overcome this. Please help!!!!!

Did you remove the bedding and put fresh bedding in her nest? The bedding too is probably filled with mites. Use this as a learning process. I dust all of my broody hens prior to giving them eggs. When they are setting in one spot and generally not dusting they frequently experience 'mite explosions'. You should be well on the way to resolving this problem.

The "towel" bedding, which was new when I brought her in, was crawling with them, yikes. I took some powder on a Qtip, and put it around her ears, as it seems that after dusting her, they went there "for protection". The huge box she is is, is lined all the way around with duct tape and thousands of those things stuck to it, trying to get out, of course, some did, yuck, will they leave with she leaves the house? I read one place that they will. I just went out, look at my other 13 birds and I don't see any (yes, I took a shower and washed my clothes first). Is is because she is broody, I don't understand. I brought her in from the coop, where the others are and I don't see them. I dusted them and around the edges and such. I hope this works, you give me hope. I hear folks say DE is good to put so they can dust, should I use a litter box in my coop for this. When they are out in the summer, they dust often just in the dirt, but my silkies don't want to go out in the cold.

My understanding is that the mites won't bother you. You might see them on you, but they don't like people as hosts, they are chicken mites and feed on them. So a shower and washing your clothes will take care of you fine. No need to tell DH the house won't be infested.

Well, sort of, but they keep coming, better. These things are nuts. I'm just trying to save hen now, not sure if eggs are still viable, but those mites are the pits. I need to get rid of them, before I can ever put her back outside. I've never seen any in the coop or on other chickens. She soiled the eggs bad, I wiped them before I read you shouldn't, so between the soiling, wiping and dusting, they may be dead, know for sure in a few days, I tried to candle, they are full, but never saw movement, but I did it fast, so not sure

If you are concerned about exposing potential chicks to the Sevin, DE does work really well. I had a hen with chicks infested last summer. I dusted her and the nest site--chicks were still hatching when I discovered this. Fortunately, they were already separated from the flock. Just as a precaution, I dusted all the roosts and added DE to the dust bath locations of the rest of the flock. The infestation did not spread even after she re-joined the flock with her chicks a day or two later. You might try giving your hen a dusting box with DE added. You have got me thinking that I ought to put a winter dust box in my coop for prevention when the weather warms. I assume those mites where laying dormant and when you brought your broody into warm air they took off. Don't give up. I know it is really frustrating, but you have the thing contained and it will get better. Good luck.

They are better, she was off the nest for a minute this morning, 3 bad eggs, 1 good, 1 not sure. The good 1 looks to bee into the air sac, but hadn't zipped, so, hopeful for something, or it may not make it. Did see some mites, need to get rid of them, will keep at it, may by DE tomorrow. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom